Science and Technology (S & T) Policy
The Science and Technology Policy aims to alleviate poverty by uplifting the living standard of the people and build national capacity by strengthening the S & T sector
Long Term Vision
- To uplift the living standard of the people of the nation through research and development, and improvement, expansion, and utilization of proper S & T in a sustainable way
- To utilize S & T sector towards the national goal of poverty alleviation by mobilizing the physical, human and academic foundation of S & T through creative and institutional development.
- To contribute towards the national goal of poverty alleviation by uplifting the living standard of the people of Nepal through the development and utilization of S & T.
- To increase national capacity through the institutional strengthening of the S & T sector, and human resource development and utilization.
- To increase competitive capacity of production and service sectors through research and development of S & T, and utilization of suitable technology.
- To institutionalize the participation of stakeholders in the development of the S & T sector with the mobilization of the academic and private sectors.
- To mobilize available resources in the S & T sector to the maximum extent, and establish additional new structures and organizations as per the need.
- To encourage Universities, science institutes, and individuals involved in research works and produce high-level scientists by giving high priority to S & T subjects in the academic curriculum up to the highest level.
- To enhance the quality of hydrology and meteorology through the use of modern technology.
- To integrate research and development works with competitive capacity development in the S & T sector.
Policy and Working Policies
- For the peaceful use of nuclear energy, the draft of the National Nuclear Policy will be finalized and implemented. Moreover, national capacity in nuclear energy will be enhanced by becoming a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- Forensic services which are very important for crime investigation and judiciary decisions will be made capable, affordable, and of quality.
- By establishing and operating a planetarium, observatory, and science museum, scientific research will be developed along with the creation of interest in the Solar System, universe, and astronomy among the people.
- Scientific laboratory and scientific conference building of national standard will be constructed.
- Public understanding of S & T will be enhanced.
- Regional and international cooperation and understanding will be developed and expanded in the S & T sector.
- The policy of public-private partnership will be adopted for the development’ expansion and utilization of S & T.
- Academic capacity will be developed and utilized in the S & T sector.
- Indigenous technology based on local materials and resources will be developed and promoted. Likewise, technology developed by persons with physical disabilities and marginalized groups will be encouraged.
- Organizations involved in research will be strengthened and their capacity will be increased,
- Technology developed from the research will be used in the production and development works.
- Quality human resources in the S & T sector will be developed through coordination with the concerned sectors.
- Initiative towards the prevention of brain drain will be taken by encouraging scientists and technicians.
- By developing and expanding hydrology and meteorology, the services will be made superior, reliable, and affordable.
- All groups, regions, communities, and ethnic groups will be included on the basis of gender equality and inclusion while formulating and implementing policies and programs.