Managerial Hierarchy (Levels of Manager) | Types of Managers
1. Top Level of Manager
The role of the top manager can be summarized as follows —
- The top manager lays down the objectives and broad policies of the enterprise.
- It issues necessary instructions for the preparation of department budgets, procedures, schedules, etc.
- It prepares strategic plans & policies for the enterprise.
- It appoints the executive for middle level i.e. departmental managers.
- It controls & coordinates the activities of all the departments.
- It is also responsible for maintaining contact with the outside world.
- It provides guidance and direction.
- The top manager is also responsible to the shareholders for the performance of the enterprise.
2. Middle Level of Manager
- They execute the plans of the organization in accordance with the policies and directives of the top manager.
- They make plans for the sub-units of the organization.
- They participate in the employment & training of lower-level managers.
- They interpret and explain policies from top-level managers to lower levels.
- They are responsible for coordinating the activities within the division or department.
- It also sends important reports and other important data to top-level managers.
- They evaluate the performance of junior managers.
- They are also responsible for inspiring lower-level managers towards better performance.
3. Lower Level of Manager
- Assigning jobs and tasks to various workers.
- They guide and instruct workers for day-to-day activities.
- They are responsible for the quality as well as quantity of production.
- They are also entrusted with the responsibility of maintaining good relations in the organization.
- They help to solve the grievances of the workers.
- They supervise & guide the subordinates.
- They are responsible for providing training to the workers.
- They arrange necessary materials, machines, tools, etc. for getting the things done.
- They prepare periodical reports about the performance of the workers.
- They ensure discipline in the enterprise.
- They motivate workers.
- They are the image builders of the enterprise because they are in direct contact with the workers.
Types of Managers
There are three types of managers. They are;
1. Staff Manager:
For example Legal advisers, advisors of the prime ministers is staff managers.
2. Functional Managers:
3. Generalist Managers:
For example, the Joint secretary and secretary are generalists managers.